trio drabble...

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Frond Ferny - Sophia aka Stradiferny

That's the name of my new violin which I bought today at Synwin. Goodness me, it just felt RIGHT. =) I had been to Gramercy before that and tried the Czech violins. The first one I tried was really not too bad but I didn't feel as right as I did with Sophia. At Synwin, I had narrowed my choices to 3 violins. Sophia was $1200, the other 2 violins, which were mellower in sound were about $800+. I told my teacher that I liked the sound from this violin. It wasn't too shrill nor was it too mellow. It was brilliant enough for me. Haha. The salesman took down a couple before that but I didn't like them. Then he slowly got these 3 for me. He tried them himself and described the characteristics to me. I then tried them myself and had my teacher try the higher positions since I wasn't comfortable in shifting beyond 3rd. Heeh. After trying the 3rd one, I put it down and told the guy, "I definitely don't want that." Heeh. It was down to Sophia and the other violin, which was slightly darker in colour. I played a short except from Bach's Minuet in G then I said I preferred Sophia. So Mum and Dad said ok. I think they thought the price was slightly high but they could tell I loved the violin and the brilliant tone from the violin was very obvious compared to the rest. They liked it too! =) The salesman told me that getting that violin would help when I would be experimenting with different tone colours later and different bow strokes as well because the violin had 'potential'. That's what I felt too. I then enquired about the shoulder rests and I eventually found out why I tensed my shoulder previously. BAH.

The violin came with a matching bow, which is pretty light and has a rather thin stick. I quite like it. Sent my teacher to the music conservatory for his music rehearsal then we went home. Transferred my tuner, cloth, rosin and old bow from my old case to my new one. Tuned my new one slightly then started playing. Played till dinner. We had veg. curry with laksa noodle. Nice! Hehe. Mum steamed the scallops too and she made prawns with some nice sauce I don't know how to describe. After dinner, practiced somemore. Towards the end, I was just playing scales to get the violin seasoned. Haha.

Alwin's able to come back! His visa's been approved! That's great hehe! Enjoy the photos you guys. They don't do justice to Sophia. You have to see her for yourself to know haha.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home